The first historical account of Holyrood (or Hollyrode) was found on John Thorton’s map of Newfoundland in 1675.
Recorded settlement in Holyrood began in the late 1700’s.
Holyrood’s primary industry in the 1800 was in providing bait (capelin and squid) for the Grand Banks fishery. Agriculture was also an important facet of the local economy during this period.
The census of 1836 reports the town as having a school.
Development of the Newfoundland railway had a tremendous impact on Holyrood’s economy in the 1880’s.
Valero (formerly, Golden Eagle) established an oil refinery in the town in the 1950’s and employed about 75 full-time workers.
Newfoundland Hydro Electric Generating station was built in Holyrood in the 1960’s.
Today, Holyrood’s residents include: doctors, dentists, pharmacists, architects, engineers, money managers, nurses, social workers, teachers, artists, police officers and numerous other occupations.
In 2011, Memorial University of Newfoundland’s, Fisheries and Marine Institute established a facility (HMB) at Holyrood for their Cold-Water Research & Development facility. Plans are already underway for a new breakwater and wharf and well as a 40,000 sq/ft building expansion over the next few years.
1000 acres of real estate has been frozen and earmarked for development of a business park.
A new town hall has recently been opened with office space and resources to house (incubator space) start-up or satellite offices to companies looking to establish a presence in the Town.